Featured Not resolved
1.5
Additional Fees

Booking number: #4JP M73

Dear Carnival Cruise Line,

I’m Deborah, and my story began when my daughter April and I decided to help restore joy back into her grandmothers life by fulfilling a desire she (Grandma) spoke of numerous times. That is to go on a cruise with the two of us. After considering other companies we agreed on Carnival Cruise Lines because the 79 year old woman (Dorothy Ferguson) who recently lost her soulmate/husband of 30 years felt comfortable with this company. While she and her husband lived in New York, they booked numerous cruises with Carnival and continued that experience after moving South. Mrs. Ferguson or Grandma Dorothy as we affectionately refer to her, and her late husband Walter had successfully sailed on Carnival in the past with the only formal document that she possessed. A statement of her community and school placement. However on November 29th 2018, she was told that her document was insufficient, therefore she was denied boarding. Grandma Dorothy was devastated! It was incomprehensible as to why she couldn’t use the same information to travel as she had done before. Mrs. Dorothy Ferguson has a Social Security card and has filed taxes for 40 +years yet she couldn’t exercise her American freedom to travel on a trip she had paid for in advance. She urged her granddaughter and I to go on without her, which we would not consider, due to the fact that she is 79 and six hours away from South Carolina. Plus what would’ve the trip be without her? She would’ve had to make arrangements and waited for someone???? to pick her up. This was out of the question for us. This is the woman who has been like a mother to me even before her son and I were married. She remained close to us even after he passed away in an accident and helped me in raising her two grandchildren. We make it a point to stay in close contact and treat her with tender loving care after loosing her son and experiencing a nervous breakdown. So how could we think about putting her in such a questionable position?

She blames herself for the failed trip, but it’s not her fault! She only acted on the choices she was given. Mrs. Ferguson previously attempted numerous times to get a copy of her birth certificate. She went to Roper Hospital where she was born and the County Court office in Charleston, as well as the Berkeley County Court office in Moncks Corner South Carolina. She also went to the Vital Statistics office in Columbia South Carolina but was told they had no information on her or her mother. On November 29th, April called all the above offices as suggested by Carnival Cruise staff to get a statement faxed that -they were not able to find any information on her; however we were given various reasons why they couldn’t do this over the phone. We are asking to be given a second opportunity to share this special trip with Grandma Dorothy. Please allow us to be refunded for this trip or rescheduled to take an equivalent trip at another date. We hope that we will hear from you soon and remain good standing with your company. Thank you!

Deborah McCarty

April H. Morrison

Dorothy Ferguson Shocked Clapping

Product or Service Mentioned: Carnival Cruise Line Customer Care.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Dec 03.

Comments

I love complaints that are padded out with stuff like age and personal loss but at the end of the day this is on her and you for not making sure this person had the necessary "papers" to travel.

h.kitchener

The rules have tightened the last few years and now you need valid, picture ID for commercial travel. It is what it is.